Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Taken by Storm by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Title: Taken by Storm
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Pages: 314
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Series: Raised by Wolves #3
Released: May 22, 2012
First Line: "I ran as though my life depended on it."

From Goodreads: "Bryn knows first-hand that being the alpha of a werewolf pack means making hard decisions, and that being human makes things a thousand times worse. She's prepared to give up her humanity, but the wolf who promised to Change her is waiting - though for what, Bryn doesn't know. Still human, she must take her place in the werewolf Senate, the precarious democracy that rules the North American packs. Standing side by side with werewolves who were ancient long before she was ever born is enough of a challenge, but Bryn soon learns that the Senate has been called to deal with a problem: the kind of problem that involves human bodies, a Rabid werewolf, and memories that Bryn, Chase, and the rest of their pack would rather forget. With bodies stacking up and political pressure closing in from all sides, Bryn and her pack are going to have to turn to old enemies and even older friends for help - especially when it starts to look like this time, the monster might be one of their own."

My Thoughts:

Alright, so I really love these books. I just love werewolf books in general. The psychic angle that Jennifer Barnes puts on the story makes things interesting and sets it apart from other werewolf stories. But in this book I was a little thrown, because things got even weirder. I won't say how because it will give things away, but I'm just not sure how I felt about one of the twists. This is the main reason I decided to give this book a 4/5, because the aforementioned twist was just a little too weird for me.

Jennifer Barnes is really good at creating a story that keeps you turning the pages, and there was lots of suspense, mystery, and a few twists I didn't see coming. I like how the books build off of each other in a way that isn't predictable and is based on the character's actions and the consequences they have or the problems they create.

I really love some of these characters! Devon and Lake are probably my favorites, and their dialogue always gets me grinning or laughing. And Bryn is an awesome, strong heroine. But while Jennifer Barnes is strong plot-wise, the romantic elements are definitely her weakness, which is disappointing. Chase isn't developed much as a character at all, and his and Bryn's relationship isn't developed much either. I wish the romance had been better, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story.

The pacing of this story felt a little weird to me. The ending almost felt rushed, like the author was trying to tie up too many loose ends too quickly. But there is still one loose end we never get a proper explanation for, which could potentially lead into another sequel? And while the book does end in a satisfying way, there is somewhat of a cliffhanger that could be suggesting another book.

Recommendations:

 I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with the characters and cheered them on. I loved Taken by Storm, and I would recommend the whole trilogy to those who enjoy werewolf stories. I'm not certain if the author is planning another book, but I really hope she is and I will definitely be reading it :]

My Rating:

Writing: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Creativity/Originality: 4/5
Kept me interested: 5/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...